Pages

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

How I got here

I have spent most of my adult life trying to loose weight. I knew strategies, recipes and ways to shed the pounds, but it was always so much work to exercise and eat well at the same time. As most dieters can agree to, it just was not fun. I can go on and on about why it did not work each time I tired to lose weight, but the fact of the matter is, is was all in my head.

I lost 30 lbs after baby #3 and was doing great until the point where we started supplementing breast milk with formula and I slowly dried up. I had yet to really diet, just eat foods I knew were great for creating breastmilk. A few months later when we had to switch over to formula, I slowly started to gain weight. I was up 10 lbs by February of this year. I had the goal of loosing much more weight than this before having our next child so I might get to take cute belly bump pictures that I missed out of taking with my boys because there always had been a big belly there.


It was at this point when I knew I needed a refresh; to forget everything I thought I knew and start over. 

First I join weight watchers. I learned so much about my eating (or lack there of) habits and adjusted. I finally could go out to eat and limit myself while enjoying some favorite meals. Next a friend invited me to water aerobics. At this point I was so excited about feeling stronger, I looked into other ways of increasing my muscle. Just this week I received my first medicine ball and look forward to trying out different workouts!

This time around I can really see it working because I am enjoying it! I try to eat healthy and enjoy the benefits of clean eating, but if the boys end up eating all the lunch I made, it wont kill me to pop in a 7 or 8 point frozen meal. In time I hope to make my own low point single served frozen meals, but for now it works. I dont kill myself trying to make myself another meal nor do I starve myself because I skip eating altogether.  


It also works because I have fun workouts! Twice a week I go to a water aerobics class. I am motivated to go because I have already paid for it and because I have friends expecting me. I have never been one to enjoy working out with other people around, but since the water hides the majority of your movements so no one can see! Plus, as it turns out, at least once per class, someone admits that they missed hearing an instruction and had been doing the wrong thing! (we are a chatty group!)

The next class I am going to try is Zumba. I am not coordinated, nor a dancer, but I have found a couple friends who are willing to let their fat jiggle and look silly next to me as we learn what we are doing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment